Re: [linux-audio-user] What's up with SAOL?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] What's up with SAOL?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 09:32:25 EET

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:15:55PM -0800, M. Edward Borasky wrote:
> http://www.borasky-research.net/HarryIannis.mp3

Ah, thanks.

> I never posted the SAOL / SASL, although I suppose I could. Neither is very
> interesting; the Perl script that generates the score is much more
> interesting.

I see what you mean. I like the texture, but it doesn't vary at all;
all the action is in the somewhat conversational rhythm and in the
change from one chord to the next.

In general, the SASL examples I've seen are dead boring. :) At first
glance, I was surprised that SASL provides so little compared to
csound's score language. But then I realized that I've never been very
successful using the "features" of csound scores, I always end up
using something else to generate raw note lists.

SAOL, on the other hand, is very cool.

> > - a community of people discussing how to write saol effectively,
> > something like the csound list.
>
> It started out like that but sort of petered out.

I wonder why so many people stick with csound?

> > - a largeish archive of saol files, somewhat like the links from
> > csounds.com.
>
> There are a few instruments

A very few...

> and tools. I had trouble getting them to work
> though. It just isn't worth my time to integrate a tool. If it doesn't work
> the first time out of the box or do a *lot* of work for me, it's easier for
> me to bang out some Perl code to do exactly what I need to do.

Likewise, though for me it's python instead of perl. I've been
working (though not recently) on the omde/pmask project, a python
library for algorithmic composition. Writing a sasl output module
should be pretty trivial.

> > - an emacs saol-mode
>
> Never used emacs; most likely never will. I use "gvim", which has nice
> syntax coloring. The "C" coloring will probably work for SAOL instruments.

Hmm, so it does. Should have thought of that!
Thanks.

I just spent the past couple hours looking through the sfront and jack
documentation, andd have concluded that it will take someone who's
really comfortable with C to write a jack driver for sfront. I think
it should only take a day, or even a couple of hours, but for *me* it
would probably take a week of blundering around clumsily, and I can't
spare that much time. I think it would be a worthy project,
though... it sure would be nice to be able to record realtime output
from an saol instrument, or use them as a dsp system for ecasound or
ardour.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com