RE: [linux-audio-user] What's up with SAOL?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] What's up with SAOL?
From: M. Edward Borasky (znmeb_AT_aracnet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 08:15:55 EET

> Got a direct link to an mp4 or saol/sasl files? That site, true to
> the warning on the front page, crashes netscape 4...

Not an MP4; the MP3 is

http://www.borasky-research.net/HarryIannis.mp3

I never posted the SAOL / SASL, although I suppose I could. Neither is very
interesting; the Perl script that generates the score is much more
interesting.

> Well, I went there hoping to find three things in particular, and
> found none of them. I was looking for:
>
> - a community of people discussing how to write saol effectively,
> something like the csound list.

It started out like that but sort of petered out.

> - a largeish archive of saol files, somewhat like the links from
> csounds.com.

There are a few instruments and tools. I had trouble getting them to work
though. It just isn't worth my time to integrate a tool. If it doesn't work
the first time out of the box or do a *lot* of work for me, it's easier for
me to bang out some Perl code to do exactly what I need to do. It took me
about three hours total to get the script that composed "When Harry Met
Iannis" working; I finished it off in a hotel room the night before the
concert -- really! At some point I'll translate the Perl into SAOL so the
thing can just be turned loose to generate music in real time.

> - an emacs saol-mode

Never used emacs; most likely never will. I use "gvim", which has nice
syntax coloring. The "C" coloring will probably work for SAOL instruments.

--
M. Edward Borasky
The COUGAR Project

znmeb_AT_borasky-research.net http://www.borasky-research.com/Cougar.htm