[linux-audio-user] newbie advice for linux + yamaha clavinova?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] newbie advice for linux + yamaha clavinova?
From: Mike Shannon (shannon_AT_husqvarna.mti.sgi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 22:10:05 EET

Hi,
        I'm looking for advice for a first-time midi+linux user:

For quite a while, I have had at home a linux PC (redhat 7.1 == kernel
2.4.2-2) and a Yamaha Clavinova piano w/ midi in/out.

I just bought a midisport 2x2 USB midi gizmo, and I have the cables to
hook my Clavinova piano up to my linux PC.

I got a version of the usbmidi driver for my linux/midisport-usb-thing,
and compiled it and did the appropriate 'make install'.

So, I think I'm ready to go.

But now I'd like to play a tune on my clavinova, and save the midi
output to a file.

What's my next step? Do I use 'playmidi /dev/midiXX' or what?
Thanks for any advice,

--
Mike Shannon		mailto:shannon_AT_engr.sgi.com
	"Invent the Wave"