Re: [linux-audio-user] sharing /dev/dsp between apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sharing /dev/dsp between apps
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 12:41:10 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:48:33PM +0000, matthew yee-king wrote:
> > Hello list people
> >
> > I am currently using bog standard OSS and gnome. when i run two audio
> > apps that talk to /dev/dsp they clash, i.e. the second app that launches
> > doesn't get any audio. if i install the alsa drivers+ oss emulation,
> > will this still be the case, i.e. can two apps talk to an alsa emulated
> > /dev/dsp device at the same time?
> >
> > one app is xmms the other is the jsyn audio synthesis api for java. xmms
> > can run alsa native can't it? in that case will /dev/dsp be available
> > simultaneously? (jsyn is oss only)
> >
> > i ask cos i'm developing a java audio app and i don't want to stop my
> > mp3 player every time i need to test the audio app!
>
> AFAIK, alsa alone doesn't do this. You need some kind of "soft mixer"
> - a sound daemon such as esd or artsd.

i vaguely remember it *is* possible with alsa, but since i have an
emu10k1 (which allows for multiple streams in hardware), i forgot
the details. i might also be confusing it with something else.
perhaps you want ask the guys over at alsa-user ?

if some solution comes up, could you cc: linux-audio-user ?

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany