Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 03:33:44 EET

> my .ecasoundrc file says:
>
> default-samplerate = 44100
>
> This is presumably the default for ecasound, since I haven't changed
> anything.
>
> Ross> 2) how you encoded the wav
>
> Again from the .ecasoundrc:
>
> ext-mp3-output-cmd = lame -b 128 -x -S - %f

Wow, that all looks like really normal things. Since you have the un-encoded
wave file, could you try to encode it by hand with those lame settings? I'm not
sure how ecasound records, but if it actually records wav files, the -S is
suspect (lame is forcing a byte-swap). Try something like:

$ lame -b 128 blah.wav blah.mp3

And see if you get the same result. If so, you should post on the mp3encoder
mailing list - the lame people should be quite interested about this!

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com