Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?
From: Kevin Ernste (kevine88_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 02:38:08 EET

As has been said, Mandrake 8.1 uses devsf...which seems pretty flakey to
me at this point. On my system I just turned it off, and all of the
device issues I was having, including the one you describe, magically
disappeared.

To turn it off, edit lilo.conf for your main boot entry. Add
"devsf=nomount quiet". Here's the first entry from mine:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda3
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append=" hdd=ide-scsi devfs=nomount quiet mem=512M"
        vga=788
        read-only

Reboot, and that's it. To renable it, just change "nomount" to "mount.

Kevin

=====
Kevin Ernste
Eastman School of Music