Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?
From: jordan muscott (morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 03:13:25 EET

Kevin Ernste wrote:

>As has been said, Mandrake 8.1 uses devsf...which seems pretty flakey to
>me at this point. On my system I just turned it off, and all of the
>device issues I was having, including the one you describe, magically
>disappeared.
>
>To turn it off, edit lilo.conf for your main boot entry. Add
>"devsf=nomount quiet". Here's the first entry from mine:
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz
> label=linux
> root=/dev/hda3
> initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> append=" hdd=ide-scsi devfs=nomount quiet mem=512M"
> vga=788
> read-only
>
>Reboot, and that's it. To renable it, just change "nomount" to "mount.
>
>Kevin

thanks -- er, one little problem thus far - changed my lilo.conf, heres
the first entry:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hda1
append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount quiet"
vga=788
read-only

but after rebooting and running 'top' , devfs still seems to be running.
any ideas?
thanks again.

jordan...