Re: [linux-audio-user] Creative audixy

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Creative audixy
From: Guenther Sohler (guenther.sohler_AT_newlogic.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 08:10:30 EET

Hallo Robert,

thank you very much for your information.
I believe we will make my card running in linux quite soon.

It seems, that my creative audixy has an emu10k1 chip and yes, there is a linux
sound object named emu10k1.o with my kernel.
But they seem somehow to be incompatible. the kernel's one does not find my
audixy. the source from sourceforge somehow seems to be advanced.
When load it, i see in sndstat and in the emu10k1 source that it provides dsp
mixer and midi devices, but no synth devices. when i load emu10k1 i first have
to load ac97_codec
i tested dsp. it works fine.
when i want to play midi, i type playmidi -a midifile.mid.
The program does not show any error, but there is no sound at all.
Is emu10k1 meant to be used with AWE ? or does emu10k1 provide wavetable with
its own ?
awe_wave will not load, befcause it won't load because it does not find an
awe64 card. I cannot patch/rewrite awe_wave.c because its too difficult for me
to rewrite from an isa card to a pci card.
i cannot rewrite sfxload because it operates on the proper synth device(audixy)
but there are no synth devices registered in my system.

My goal is to play midi files with the wavetable of the audixy card. how can i
achieve this ?

rds guenther

> I can't recall the start of this thread, but if you've installed the
> OSS/Free drivers (which should already be available with your kernel).
> You can't use soundfonts, not supported yet (forever it seems).
>
> If you have installed alsa on the otherhand, things should work just
> fine. You do however need all the oss compatibility modules loaded, look
> at the end of the README or INSTALL document for some good examples of
> what should be added to your modules.conf file.
>
> you could also try to (as root) do: modprobe snd-seq-oss
> which (i think) should load the necessary modules automagically.
>
> when the drivers are correctly set up, sfxload <soundfont>
> Is the correct command for loading fonts, should work without any
> special tweaking.
>
> /Robert
>

> Guenther Sohler wrote:
>
>>Hallo Group,
>>
>>Now I manged to compile the emu10k1 driver for linux.
>>So I was able to play audio through dsp.
>>Then I tried to play midi.
>>The programs wer runnning fine but i did not hear anything.
>>I suppose because there are no soundfonts loaded.
>>How can I load soundfonts, a have a sf2 file but sfx load does not work
>>because
>>it does not find the awe64 card!
>>
>>rds Guenther

Guenther Sohler

NewLogic Technologies AG
Millennium Park 6
A-6890 Lustenau
                                           Phone: +43-5577-62000-507
E-Mail: guenther.sohler_AT_newlogic.com Fax: +43-5577-62000-988