Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] why is my mp3 file bigger than my wav file?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 22:10:45 EET

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 09:23:04AM -0500, Laura Conrad wrote:

> Frank> If you play the files with ecasound, what gets printed after the name of
> Frank> the audio files?
>
> [lconrad_AT_tuba wg-1201]$ ecasound -i lingham.wav
> * ecasound v2.0.4 (C) 1997-2001 Kai Vehmanen *
> - [ Chainsetup/Enabling audio inputs ] -------------------------------------
> (eca-audio-objects) Audio object "lingham.wav", mode "read".
> (audio-io) Format: u8, channels 1, srate 8000, interleaved.

There you have it. lingham.wav is 8-bit mono with a sampling rate of 8
kHz. That'll take up 8 kilobytes per second, comparable to a 64 kbps
(kiloBITS per second) mp3 file. So if you convert it into a 128 kbps
MP3 file, of course it'll get bigger - twice as big!

If you want to compress this file using MP3, try smaller bitrates
until you find a rate that makes it sound worse, then use the bitrate
above that. Variable bitrate might be worth a try, too.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com