Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] can anyone help me get my /dev/dsp back?
From: jordan muscott (morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 16:49:06 EET

> What is the output of lsmod, /etc/modules.conf ?
> My guess is that that now that you aren't using devfsd you will have to
> adjust you configuration. I don't use devfsd or OSS so I am not sure
> what exactly you need to look for but the 2 places mentioned above
> are great for figuring out what is going on in alsa along with
> alsamixer/amixer. Try to make sure that those audio channels aren't
> muted!
>
> -Darwin

hi

- yeah still bumbling around with this one in a confused lost world of
hopelessness :(
 Staring xmms from a comand prompt and then attempting to load an mp3
results in :

[jordan_AT_larry jordan]$ xmms

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): No
such device

and running sndconfig still results in it detecting my soundcard and
then failing when attemting to load to necessary kernel modules :(

output of lsmod:

[root_AT_larry root]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
soundcore 4208 0 (autoclean)
lp 5808 0
parport_pc 20240 1
parport 24768 1 [lp parport_pc]
af_packet 12560 1 (autoclean)
usb-uhci 21232 0 (unused)
usbcore 50752 1 [usb-uhci]
eepro100 17120 1 (autoclean)
ide-scsi 8096 0
scsi_mod 91072 1 [ide-scsi]
rtc 5600 0 (autoclean)

and my /etc/modules.conf reads :

pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
alias eth0 eepro100
alias sound-slot-0 sb

any ideas how to sort this out? ( i suppose theres always the possibilty
that my crumbly old plug 'n' pray has just died......)

thanks, jordan.....