Re: [linux-audio-user] HOWTO use Miditrackers with Softsynths [was: midi loopback or somesuch]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] HOWTO use Miditrackers with Softsynths [was: midi loopback or somesuch]
From: Nathaniel Virgo (nev_AT_linux)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 04:35:44 EET

Hello LAU people!

I'd really love to get this virmidi thing working --- I've been wanting to
get ttrk to control my csound instuments for ages. Unfortunately I get some
errors when following these intstructions:

On Sunday 17 February 2002 12:48, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> First you have to configure a virtual midi card within your alsa modules
> configuration. Add this:
>
> alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> alias snd-card-1 snd-card-virmidi

I added this to my /etc/modules.conf (is this the correct thing to do?), but
I get the following messages when booting:

<notice>/etc/init.d/rc5.d/S21alsasound start
Starting sound driver: ens1371
virmidi/lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o: insmod snd-card-virmidi
failed
failed
Restoring the previous sound settingdone

... later ...

Failed services in runlevel 5: alsasound

... and aconnect obviously doesn't show any virmidi ports. I'm using SuSE
linux 7.3, newishly installed on a nice clean hard-drive, with a Soundblaster
128 PCI.

P.S. does anyone have any idea what's going on here:

nev_AT_linux:~> cecilia
bash: /usr/local/bin/cecilia: No such file or directory
nev_AT_linux:~> ls -l /usr/local/bin/cecilia
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1687685 Feb 8 20:35 /usr/local/bin/cecilia