Re: [linux-audio-user] HOWTO use Miditrackers with Softsynths [was: midi loopback or somesuch]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] HOWTO use Miditrackers with Softsynths [was: midi loopback or somesuch]
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 13:40:20 EET

Nathaniel Virgo hat gesagt: // Nathaniel Virgo wrote:

> I'd really love to get this virmidi thing working --- I've been wanting to
> get ttrk to control my csound instuments for ages. Unfortunately I get some
> errors when following these intstructions:
>
> On Sunday 17 February 2002 12:48, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > First you have to configure a virtual midi card within your alsa modules
> > configuration. Add this:
> >
> > alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
> > alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
> > alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> > alias snd-card-1 snd-card-virmidi
>
> I added this to my /etc/modules.conf (is this the correct thing to do?), but
> I get the following messages when booting:
>
> <notice>/etc/init.d/rc5.d/S21alsasound start
> Starting sound driver: ens1371
> virmidi/lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o: init_module: No such
> device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.10-4GB/misc/snd-card-virmidi.o: insmod snd-card-virmidi
> failed
> failed
> Restoring the previous sound settingdone
>
> ... later ...
>
> Failed services in runlevel 5: alsasound
>
> ... and aconnect obviously doesn't show any virmidi ports. I'm using SuSE
> linux 7.3, newishly installed on a nice clean hard-drive, with a Soundblaster
> 128 PCI.

I don't know what's going on here. Is it a 0.9.0 ALSA, that you are
using? First you could try to manually insert the virmidi module. Just
remove above lines from your /etc/modules.comf, then do a "modprobe
snd-card-virmidi". This should at least insert the virmidi module, check
with "lsmod | grep virmidi". If this does not work, there's probably
something wrong with your alsa modules.

> P.S. does anyone have any idea what's going on here:
Yes, that's simple.
> nev_AT_linux:~> cecilia
> bash: /usr/local/bin/cecilia: No such file or directory
> nev_AT_linux:~> ls -l /usr/local/bin/cecilia
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1687685 Feb 8 20:35 /usr/local/bin/cecilia
celicia is not executable. Do a "chmod +x /usr/local/bin/cecilia" as root.

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______