Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 23:33:09 EET

Someone other than Paul Winkler wrote:

> > ...I like to see a site that was careful about what software
> > that is featured. The problem with "Sound and MIDI software for linux"
> > (http://www.linuxsound.at/) is that each and every piece of
> > sound-software made for linux is featured. Even software that is far
> > from being usable, or that stoped developing years ago.

Which is why I wrote the DLP's Choice page and the Freshmeat audio
software category review. I will be the first to admit that the
soundapps site has its drawbacks: no ratings, no search engine, no user
reviews, and so on. It's also ad-free (except for my book, sorry about
that), payment-free, updated monthly, available in frames and no-frames,
and is going to stay that way.

I would love to go through the site and drop the dead links. Anyone else
up for the job ? That's about 900 links to check, though I imagine
there's an easy way to do it with some sort of crawler.

> > "How to use program X and program Y together", "What SW do I neet to
> > ...". Dave Philips have writen quite a few nice ones on o'reilly and on
> > his own site.

Okay, here's an advance notice: Patrick Shirkey and I have been working
on a new site dedicated to Linux audio tutorials. We're currently
focused on user-domain issues, i.e., how to record in MusE, how to use
Ceres3, and so forth, but I'd certainly like to see some more technical
developer-oriented material there too (or on a similar site dedicated to
developers' issues ?). If anyone here would like to contribute a
tutorial for the site just let me know.

Btw, I'll officially announce the new site (and its location) with the
next release of the Linux soundapps pages.

Deinde scribit Paulus Winkler:

> For larger articles, I think I'd leave it up to the author to provide
> html and screenshots if necessary. Then they could work with a moderator
> to get the html properly integrated with the site. I don't expect there
> will be an overwhelming number of such articles, so it's not so necessary
> to have a standardized format.

Hopefully the new tutorials site will answer this whole matter. We're
already getting some excellent stuff from various members of this list,
and I think the site will prove a valuable addition to the sites also
mentioned by Paul (M-station, LAU, LAD, etc). Patrick's done some nice
work on the interface already.

Finally, I will probably revive the Musings column, it seems to have
been a good vehicle for promoting the cause. Whoopee...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net