Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 22:26:55 EET

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 04:21:17PM +0100, Ola Andersson wrote:
> That is a site I would visit.
>
> Some thougths:
(snip)
> I disagree. I like to see a site that was careful about what software
> that is featured. The problem with "Sound and MIDI software for linux"
> (http://www.linuxsound.at/) is that each and every piece of
> sound-software made for linux is featured. Even software that is far
> from being usable, or that stoped developing years ago.

That is the purpose of providing user ratings, user reviews, and
date of most recent known version. I'd like to make it easy to see at
a glance if, for instance, the app. is a dead project and never got
very far. But I'd still like information on *everything* to be available.
Otherwise, you wonder if it's not listed because the website maintainers
don't like it, or just because they don't know about it.

I see the problem, but I think the solution is more information, not less.

> "How to use program X and program Y together", "What SW do I neet to
> ...". Dave Philips have writen quite a few nice ones on o'reilly and on
> his own site.

Yes, I'd be happy to link to articles on o'reillynet, Dave's site,
m-station, anywhere. I'd also be happy to host new articles.

> To do this with a standard interface might be hard.

For larger articles, I think I'd leave it up to the author to provide
html and screenshots if necessary. Then they could work with a moderator
to get the html properly integrated with the site. I don't expect there
will be an overwhelming number of such articles, so it's not so necessary
to have a standardized format.

Thanks for the comments...

Paul Winkler
home: http://www.slinkp.com
"Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"