Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 19:12:24 EET

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:58:10 -0500
Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net> wrote:

> The Earthling Paul Winkler wrote:
>
> > ...last time we talked about this, you seemed pretty tired of
> > maintaining the site. I don't want to step on anyone's toes or duplicate effort
> > unnecessarily; but I do think a more advanced soundapps site would
> > be a very nice thing to have, and I know how to do it now.
> > But I don't think we need "yet another" site, I think we need one that's
> > good enough to be *the* site.
> >
> > So, what do you think? Worth doing?
>
> Absolutely. I am willing to donate the entirety of my site or as much as
> you want to use as any kind of foundation.
>
> I agree with Paul and all of you who would like a better soundapps site.
> Alas, I'm not the man for the job, and as many have already disovered,
> it's a big job. Anyone interested in such a site needs to consider the
> following items:
>
> 1) How to handle additions, updates, and deletions
> 2) How to determine relevant categories and submissions (should we add
> video and other multimedia apps now ? TV software ? every CD player
> listed in Freshmeat ?)
> 3) What descriptive content is most relevant ? Who will write it ? (No
> minor task even if your site lists only 100 apps).
> 4) How to establish input for user ratings, reviews, suggestions, etc.
> 5) Ad policy ?
> 6) Who will host the site ? How permanent will it be ? How will it be
> paid for if there's a fee ?
> 7) Who will maintain the site against crackers, irrelevant posters,
> spam, etc. ?
> 8) Exactly who determines which software is included, and how is that
> determined ?

Actually, instead of writing the site from scratch, why not using the freshmet engine as a base? I think it's opensource. It supports most, if not all, features we could expect. It has announcements, discussion forums, discussion per app, user rating, categories, supports articles and i think some other stuff.. woulndt it be easier to just adapt the layout?

Juan Linietsky