Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps (documentation)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A couple of points on the state of linux audio apps (documentation)
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 15:51:20 EET

Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:46:48PM -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>
> > Paul, I attempted to run a link checking program on Dave's site last
> > night. The results were less than useful.
>
> ... because you find out which are broken, but not where they went, right?
> That's the usual problem. No good solution unfortunately. Link checkers
> are more like a notification that something's wrong. They're useless
> for actually solving the problem.

No, the problem was that working links were reported as broken. Quis
custodiet custodes ? (Who watches the watchers?)...

> When I'm ready, I think I'll go further and try to automatically slurp
> stuff from Dave's site into the database. That'll be a good head start.

Slurp on... ;)

Seriously, I'm glad Paul is organizing this task. The soundapps pages
have been in need of serious attention for years. Many good people have
offered assistance in the past, and even some prototypes have appeared,
but none that could convince me to switch from what I already have.

I would also like to point out that the great mass of the apps listed on
my site are there because I went looking, not because users submitted
them. There's a lot of interesting stuff out there that no-one knows
about or bothers to tell anyone else about, so it pays off to go
searching for Linux audio apps in the nooks and crannies of the net.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net