Re: [linux-audio-user] speakers/equalizer ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] speakers/equalizer ?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 18:18:06 EET

author wrote:

> Are there any decent computer speakers
> for under $100? I'm getting weary of
> always wearing headphones. The speakers
> I have now are pathetic.
> My sound card is an SB Live
> ( the cheap version) , if that
> matters.

IMO you're best off buying a decent pair of studio monitors and perhaps
a subwoofer. That does tie you into a more expensive solution but you
really will get a far better sound. Sub-$100 speakers are likely to
sound like...well, sub-$100 speakers...

> Are there any software frequency equalizers for Linux?

I've been looking for one for a while. The latest OSS/Linux includes a
pretty good software equalizer but it's not really a standalone app,
IIRC. There's a nice (old) one for SGI machines but I don't think
anyone's ported it.

Of course you could probably build one in Pd or jMax in a few minutes...

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net