Re: [linux-audio-user] speakers/equalizer ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] speakers/equalizer ?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 19:29:13 EET

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:18:06AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> author wrote:
>
> > Are there any decent computer speakers
> > for under $100? I'm getting weary of
> > always wearing headphones. The speakers
> > I have now are pathetic.
> > My sound card is an SB Live
> > ( the cheap version) , if that
> > matters.
>
> IMO you're best off buying a decent pair of studio monitors and perhaps
> a subwoofer. That does tie you into a more expensive solution but you
> really will get a far better sound. Sub-$100 speakers are likely to
> sound like...well, sub-$100 speakers...

I generally agree, but I can't resist adding to this:
1) Just because it's a "studio monitor" doesn't mean it's any good.
Try many before you buy one. The "industry standard" for many years
was the Yamaha NS-10M, but it was the monitor everyone loved to hate
and most engineers I've talked to are happy that Yamaha's discontinued
it. So shop around.

2) You can make do with quite inexpensive home audio speakers if you shop
around and have an amp to drive them with. I'm still using an old pair
of Advent consumer speakers I got for about $125 about 10 years ago. Better
than any "computer" speakers I've come across. Other good choices
in home speakers are made by Boston Acoustics, NHT, PSB, among others.

The difference between home and studio speakers is one of philosophy.
Studio monitors are generally designed to be accurate and "neutral",
though they hardly ever sound the same as each other. Home stereo speakers
are designed to sound "good", not neutral. That often means "hyped" high
and low frequencies. But that said, many "home" speakers work OK as monitors
and vice versa. The key is to work with speakers that you know really well
.

HTH,

paul winkler