[linux-audio-user] Suggested changes to Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Suggested changes to Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (eric_AT_zhevny.com)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 22:28:40 EET

I'm in the process of switching my box from Mandrake to debian. I just
finished patching, building and installing a low-latency kernel. I took
some notes and have some suggestions for the mini-HOWTO. I started with
this version:

http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/Linux_Audio_Users_Guide/Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO.html

A version with my suggested changes is attached.

What I changed:

references to 2.4.0-testx -> 2.4.x

In "Configuring and Building the New Kernel"

added optional step: make oldconfig

removed referece to hdparm. It isn't needed if "Use PCI DMA by default
when available" is set in the kernel config.

added some comments (possibly unwise?) about sysrq...I'm not sure this
bit is good advice.

added a step to edit the EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile.

added optional instructions for the debian make-kpkg method of kernel
building and package management.

in "Necessary Upgrades"

added dkpg -l foo for version testing

added some notes on recent issues between binutils and the kernel.

added notes on modutils 2.4.x

I'm not sure the "Update Modutils and Load your Modules" section is
needed with modutils 2.4.x. But, I'm not sure that it's not needed
either so I left it in.

I hope this is helpful. Please feel free to use as much or as little of
this as you see fit.

-Eric Rz.

Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO-EDRzedit.html