[linux-audio-user] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Cheesetracker 0.2.7 and notes.

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Cheesetracker 0.2.7 and notes.
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 14:15:39 EET

Hello! I'm announcing the release of this version of cheesetracker in the linux audio user list. Cheesetracker is an Impulse Tracker (IT) clone
(the very popular module tracker by Jeffrey Lim)

http://reduz.com.ar/cheesetracker

I'm doing this because I think cheesetracker finally reached a "mature" stage. It almost implements all IT features (Except midi, which isnt very useful in IT anyway) plus some extra enhancements.

For those who do not know what a Tracker is:

Trackers are music composing programs that integrate the scoring (where notes and commands are written almost in "low level" in patterns, which then are put together in a certain order to make a song) with the sample
based synthesis. It means, the whole app is in charge of all the composnig aspects. Despite this technoish-like description, trackers are used to compose any kind of music style. For examples of module music, you can visit http://www.scene.org.

For those who are wondering, what does Cheesetracker offer with respect to midi:

While the overal quality is limited by the internal synth (which is quite good anyway ;), trackers offer a LOT more control over each voice,
each sample and every minimal aspect of the sound. Also since tracked music file formats are self contained and include the samples and instruments, they can be redistributed and will not lose the original sound depending on each soundcard.
Standard trackers are not intended for professional music creation, but
a lot of people export the tracks individually and mix them in
multitrack editors to reach such quality.

For those who are wondering, what does Cheesetracker offer with respect to Soundtracker:

Basically, all Impulse Tracker improvements over Fasttracker II (in which Soundtracker is based on) are present on Cheesetracker, this includes things like more channels, NNAs (use more than a note per channel, like midi does), filters, wider note range, pitch and filter envelopes, better
sustain, more effects and probably other stuff. Cheesetracker also implements per channel reverb send (using freeverb which is fully customizable from the config menu), oscilloscopes over each channel, volume ramped (per sample), NSF export (write your song to 6502 asm ;),
and a really modular code design, (while it uses GTK, the GUI itself is abstracted, so porting to other interface systems is VERY easy).

Of course, SoundTracker is a way more mature app, and has great features such a built in sample editor, nicer looking interface, midi in, and more options to customize.

Cheesetracker is probably better suited for music hobbists, harcore tracker users, beginners in music composing, DJs (make the coolest droomloops ;), or professionals who really like the tracker approach.
For trackers who would like to go MIDI, I'd like to mention my other tracker project, ShakeTracker:

http://reduz.com.ar/shaketracker

which is a MIDI based tracker (Instead of having its own synth, it uses midi).

Well, any questions, let me know!

Enjoy it!!

Juan Linietsky.