Howto look (good) [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] outdated apps]

Subject: Howto look (good) [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] outdated apps]
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 13:12:18 EET

Hi Eric, Dave,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > On another note, and perhaps this should be a separate thread,
[Done]
> > My next step at home in converting my system to debian is getting alsa
> > installed and configured. I want to take notes and capture what I do so
> > I can contribute back the steps needed for my particular card. Do you
> > know where Patrick has the template for individual soundcard alsa
> > HOWTOs?
>
> Umm, there is no template. You write it, add whatever images you need,
> then you send it to me, in plaintext or HTML. I won't bother editing any
> other format. I'd rather it not become so formalized, that way I can be
> surprised by each submission's layout. :)

In fact, when I wrote my aconnect-QuickToot, I first -thought- there was a
kind of style guide for those, judging from the prior quicktoots. When Dave
told me, that the author was free to choose the layout, I already had
chosen the common LinuxDoc style.

I simply used LyX to write the QuickToot, as this lets you concentrate more
on the text. Then I exported it as sgml and converted it to a single
html-page with the sgmltools-lite. Unfortunatly the sgml-support in LyX is
not really perfect, so some hand editig was still necessary.

Personally I don't like the look of linuxdoc very much, and I do know how
to design a more sophisticated look, as I make a living with web stuff.

But Linuxdoc is a good common denominator and doesn't distract the reader
from the content IMO. And it's still a whole world better than badly
written, over-designed webpage...

just my 2 cents, we Europeans can give them now, too ;)

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______