Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptops of choice?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptops of choice?
From: matt yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 16:40:44 EET

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 16:17, Nick D wrote:
> On 09 Mar 2002 14:38:43 +0000
> matt yee-king <yeeking_AT_no-future.com> wrote:
>
> > oh - somethingn worth mentioning - the cd player doesn't work in my
> > powerbook g4 yet as this is a software thing (theres no audio out on the
> > dvd player in the powerbook). and i don't know if the modem works cos i
> > use boredband. but then you've always got macos9/ X if you want fancy
> > stuff like cd players and modems. :P
>
> reading from the cd isnt a problem though?
> in which case the cdread plugin for xmms will let you listen to CDs under linux :) it rips the audio data directly and send it to the soundcard..

well the benh kernel reads the cd fine. as did a 2.4.17 vanilla one i
compiled.

> apart from that, it works ok then?

spiralsynth doesn't seem to like my benh kernel but does like my
yelloowdog 2.4.10 - something to do with sound.o becoming soundcore.o??
weird as other oss apps work fine in both. as i say i tried alsa but had
a few probs compiling and then running. but aint tried alsa 0.9beta12
yet.

unfortunately, it looks like i'm going to have trouble getting midi into
the box using alsa as there isn't anyway to get midi into it apart from
usb (maybe pcmcia???) and alsa doesn't support that. this is a shame as
i like to use a hardware sequencer.

as for firewire, i don't know, i have an external firewire drive, but
its hfs+ formatted and full of stuff i don't want to lose, so i got
sacred off by the 'EXPERIMENTAL!' label of linux firewire and the issues
of reading hfs+ partitions.

but everything else is looking good. i even found an app called
pbbutton that makes the volume controls on the keyboard work.

FYI its a rev a g4 400... the current generation have different graphics
cards and prob other stuff as well. but this is getting a bit OT - spose
linuxppc is the place for this.

matthew