Re: [linux-audio-user] looking for simple midi creation app

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] looking for simple midi creation app
From: Samuel S Chessman (chessman_AT_tux.org)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 00:57:22 EET

On 12 Mar 2002, rob wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to find a simple app for creating midi files.
> The files will be relativly simple (piano accompaniments to simple songs
> ). And all I need to do with them is play them (though it would be nice
> to be able to change the tempo and/or pitch).

<snip/>

> Can anyone suggest an app?

I recommed the abcMIDI package for simple MIDI creation.
ABC is widely used by folk musicians for many purposes and there
is a large body of tunes and tools.

Look at http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/
or try http://google.com/search?hl=en&q=abc+midi

I like abc for simple stuff, having used rosegarden, lilypond, and
musi[cx]tex with all their precision. Sometimes simple is easier.

If abc is too simple, lilypond will probably do what you want without too
much pain.

Sam

--
   Sam Chessman                                               chessman_AT_tux.org
    First do what's necessary, then what's possible, finally the impossible.