Re: [linux-audio-user] sequencers in Debian Woody

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sequencers in Debian Woody
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 11:44:51 EEST

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki hat gesagt: // Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

> I'm not very familiar with the protocol for asking debian package
> maintainers to change things. What would it take to have the
> Soundtracker, Ecasound and Timidity debian packages converted to alsa
> 0.9.x?
I think, but I may well be terribly wrong, that Soundtracker doesn't support
ALSA 0.9 yet. The ecasound packages in Debian are build with 0.5, but it's
very simple to rebuild them for 0.9: "apt-get source ecasound" will get the
source, "fakeroot debian/rules binary" in the source directory will build
with whichever alsa you have installed. I never built Timidity.

> In genreal, it would really be beneficial to the usability of debian for
> working with sound if the audio apps packages in the distribution were
> to move away from alsa 0.5.x. As I understand it alsa 0.9.x should be
> considered the mainstream release and 0.5.x should only be kept around
> for historical reference.
That's right, and I'm sure Debian will follow this path. But there still
are a lot of apps that don't support 0.9. Not that I would need any of
them, but it's another thing if you're in the distribution business...

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______