Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie introduction

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie introduction
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 03:36:50 EEST

--- "Lloyd R. Prentice" <pai_AT_tiac.net> wrote:
>> the field and give you some good compatible soundcards to look at.
>
>Sorry to sound so vague. But I've already learned much from your questions.
>Perhaps you could recommend two cards -- one that would see me through the
>learning curve and one that would deliver solid professional sound for the long
>term.

Many people recommend the midiman cards as a cheaper (i.e less than US$500) but professional soundcard.

Otherwise you can probably get away with the card you have onboard for the moment until you are in a position to test the set up fully. By that stage you will have no problems installing a new card. The hardest part for you will be understanding the subtle difficulties/problems/features with each respective application that you choose to use.

You will also need to get a mixer. I have a eurorack but you should just find one that has the quality you like and can afford.

For streaming you should look into the icecast server for now.

http://www.icecast.org

Another application that could be targetted towards you is gstreamer.

http://www.gstreamer.net

For editors:

You can look at ecasound which is a commandline multitrack recording application or gsmp which has a gui. Other sound editors (stereo recording) are glame, audacity, ardour (may be too powerful for your current needs but worth getting to know before you need it) and of course snd which is the most developed editor for Linux at the moment.

Also look at the quick-toots

http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/quicktoots

and the LAU-guide

http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/Linux_Audio_Users_Guide/