[linux-audio-user] Newbie introduction

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Newbie introduction
From: Lloyd R. Prentice (pai_AT_tiac.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:31:07 EEST

Hello,

I'm a new list member and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Lloyd. I'm new to Linux and, thus, new to Linux audio. But I've
been developing interactive software for some 20 years, currently developing
web applications.

I haven't had a chance to review the archives yet, but will over the next
few weeks.

I have the following goal: Within three to four months bring up an audio
production suite that would enable me to record, edit, archive, and stream
over the web audio (and eventually) video. The content would be mostly
voice narrative, panel discussion, talk-show kind of stuff -- very simple
editing and mixing at most.

I've been researching options on the web and becoming increasingly confused
by the choices. At this point I hardly know where to start. My rough-cut
workplan is:

1. Get sound running. I just brought up Mandrake 8.0 on an AMD 1.2GHz system
with sound on the motherboard. So far, I can't get the sound to work. I'd
like to buy a quality sound card, but not sure what would be best for my
application.

2. Evaluate web-based audio streaming options: So far I'm biased toward
MPEG4 -- DivX or FFMPeg, but don't know if these are stable enough and don't
understand the licensing implications -- or even if these are the best
choices.

3. Integrate a suite of audio production tools: learn how to use them.

4. Build up a streaming server. Learn how to use it.

5. Integrate streaming audio into my applications.

I'd much welcome any high-level advice and guidance. With my short deadline
I can't afford to walk down any garden paths.

Best wishes,

Lloyd R. Prentice