Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie introduction

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Newbie introduction
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 21:22:26 EEST

Hi Lloyd,
Lloyd R. Prentice hat gesagt: // Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:

> I've been researching options on the web and becoming increasingly confused
> by the choices. At this point I hardly know where to start. My rough-cut
> workplan is:
>
> 2. Evaluate web-based audio streaming options: So far I'm biased toward
> MPEG4 -- DivX or FFMPeg, but don't know if these are stable enough and don't
> understand the licensing implications -- or even if these are the best
> choices.
I'm jumping into the long thread late, but so far you didn't receive much
answers to this question. For streaming just audio, MPG4 as in DivX is IMO
overkill. Those codecs are quite good for video stuff, but you want audio.
For that I see only two really professional solutions: mp3 and RealAudio,
maybe add Ogg. Icecast and Oggcast are nice free servers for mp3 rsp. Ogg.
Real Networks has free (as in beer) versions of their non-free (as in
freedom) tools, but the real RealAudio will cost a lot.

> 4. Build up a streaming server. Learn how to use it.
I work for the online department of a german radio station (www.dradio.de)
and we stream quite some stuff. The realtime live stream is not done in our
house, and it runs on Microsoft servers, duh. But we have a lot of
interviews and stuff (advertisment: "Das Spunkkrachlexikon" in german
language, at http://www.dradio.de/magazin/hoerspiel/spunk/) streamed from
our main Solaris webserver, and that is done with RealServer. It works
quite well even under load. But for personal projects I would use icecast.

Interestingly we record the radio interviews, that later go as
RealAudio-encoded streams to the webserver, on a linux box with ecasound
and an el-cheapo Soundblaster-128 directly from a late 60s radio set that
we found in a locker in our office. Don't tell anyone! ;)
A better soundcard is nice, and you can pry my Midiman card from my dead
hands, but noone can hear a difference in our web streams after we hammered
the original soundfiles through the encoder!

> 5. Integrate streaming audio into my applications.
PD (www.pure-data.org) is a software synth, that has objects for streaming
audio over the web. Maybe you can get some inspiration there.

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______