Re: [linux-audio-user] ecasound on an i486

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ecasound on an i486
From: jordan muscott (morsecode_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 22:45:53 EEST

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:45:51 +0300 (EEST)
Kai Vehmanen <kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, jordan muscott wrote:
>
>> I am toying with the idea of putting a slim linux install ( no X ) on
>> my old 486 purely as a hard disk recorder. Anyone konw if ecasound
>> would run on a 486 / 25mhz / 24megs ram ??
>
>That's where it all started. First versions of ecasound (then called
>'wavstat') run on my 486/33Mhz(dx). While ecasound is not exactly
>optimized for low-end machines (fpu is a must), switching between
>realtime and non-realtime operation is extremely easy.

oh right cool ....
looks like you can all ignore my 'hitting a 486 with a hammer' post
then, ( unless anyones got any good suggestions of course :) )

Ive just remember it hasnt got any pci slots.
any suggestions for ISA cards? Theres a computer graveyard shop near me
that tends to have a few ISA soundcards hanging around ( ive got a SB16
-- but it is a bit noisy to use for mastering.)

thanks, jordan.