Re: [linux-audio-user] RTSynth and MusE

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RTSynth and MusE
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 10:50:17 EEST

At Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:38:44 -0400,
Dave Phillips wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
>
> > At Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:52:01 -0400,
> > Dave Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > On a related point: I'm also not getting joy from the MusE -> RTSynth
> > > connection via the patch bay (or aconnect). The devices show up
> > > correctly, but nothing seems to be reaching RTSynth (it plays correctly
> > > when driven from the external MIDI port though).
> >
> > which version of RTSynth? 1.6.10?
>
> Hi, Takashi:
>
> No, it's 1.6.9, and I just now figured out how to drive it with MusE
> under these ALSA conditions:
>
> [dlphilp_AT_localhost dlphilp]$ aconnect -i
> client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
> 0 'Timer '
> 1 'Announce '
> client 64: 'External MIDI 0' [type=kernel]
> 0 'MIDI 0-0 '
> client 72: 'External MIDI 1' [type=kernel]
> 0 'MIDI 1-0 '
> client 80: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-0 '
> client 81: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-1' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-1 '
> client 82: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-2' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-2 '
> client 83: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-3' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-3 '
> client 129: 'MusE Sequencer' [type=user]
> 0 'MusE Port 0 '
>

> [dlphilp_AT_localhost dlphilp]$ aconnect -o
> client 64: 'External MIDI 0' [type=kernel]
> 0 'MIDI 0-0 '
> client 65: 'Emu10k1 WaveTable' [type=kernel]
> 0 'Emu10k1 Port 0 '
> 1 'Emu10k1 Port 1 '
> 2 'Emu10k1 Port 2 '
> 3 'Emu10k1 Port 3 '
> client 72: 'External MIDI 1' [type=kernel]
> 0 'MIDI 1-0 '
> client 80: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-0 '
> client 81: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-1' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-1 '
> client 82: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-2' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-2 '
> client 83: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 2-3' [type=kernel]
> 0 'VirMIDI 2-3 '
> client 128: 'RTSynth v1.6.9 synthesizer' [type=user]
> 0 'Input '
> client 129: 'MusE Sequencer' [type=user]
> 0 'MusE Port 0 '
>

> I thought the virtual MIDI output port would work if wired to the
> RTSynth port, but it doesn't, no matter what client I use. However, this
> works well:
>
> aconnect 129:0 128:0
>
> So why doesn't the virmidi method work here, i.e., what's wrong with
> this:
>
> aconnect 80:0 128:0
>
> ??

the virmidi works as a converter between ALSA sequencer event packets
and MIDI byte streams. that is, it reads an sequencer event from the
assigned port and writes midi bytes onto the certain midi device
/dev/midiXX, and vice versa. thus, it's used for the programs which
_only_ access to MIDI devices.

Since the new RTSynth talks directly with ALSA sequencer, you can
connect the ports directly from muse. you'll find an item "Input" in
the midi device list of muse. that's it. choose it like other midi
devices. (aconnecting may work as you reported, though..)
(unfortunately midi shows only the port name, and rtsynth provides an
 ambiguous name like such..)

HTH.

ciao,

Takashi