[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] RE: [Alsa-devel] Question regarding the CS4205 driver (used in all current Dell notebooks)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] RE: [Alsa-devel] Question regarding the CS4205 driver (used in all current Dell notebooks)
From: Kevin Ernste (kevine88_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 02:24:45 EEST

Ico,

I have the same setup, and ALSA gives me those loud clicks as well (3 of them).
 A running console reports that the system is actually modprobing for 3 more
snd-cards. It reports this every time a sound is played, something like:

modprobe snd-card0 :
modprobe snd-card1 : No such device
modprobe snd-card2 : No such device
modprobe snd-card3 : No such device

No idea why. I have the sound configured explicitely for the one card in
modules.conf, and I have never know ALSA to probe the modules like this before.

This is using the stock Suse 7.3 with the ALSA install that comes by default
(5.12a I believe).

Kevin

--- Ivica Bukvic <ico_AT_fuse.net> wrote:
> First off, thank you for your reply.
>
> Well, for starters, getting full duplex to work surely would help, since
> without it it pretty much kills any kind of real-time audio usefulness
> and/or audio monitoring.
>
> Here's the behavior description:
>
> My config:
> RH 7.2 (no mods)
> Kernel: 2.4.7
>
> Inspiron 8200
> P4 1.6GHz
> G4Go 440
> CS4205 Soundcard
>
> OSS/Free
> Sound works (single stream otherwise /dev/dsp resource busy error greets
> the user). When trying to do Duplex, it simply reports error that it
> fails to open the device in the duplex mode.
>
> OSS/Commercial
> Sound output works, and duplex works but sounds like crap, so one could
> say that it really does not work. The output is just bunch of clicks
> that have appropriate volume envelope, but that is about it. If two
> streams are attempted to be played simultaneously, the second one
> distorts the first one for a second or two, then stops and after the
> first stream is done I get bunch of errors and noise close to white
> noise.
>
> ALSA (0.9.12)
> Sound output works, and duplex behaves like OSS/Commercial. Ina
> addition, there are a bunch of loud clicks every time sound kicks in. In
> addition. Snd app is completely unusable in terms of recording (cannot
> select mic input or the signal is so quiet that even if I tap directly
> on the built-in mic the level gauge barely moves).
>
> At this point I am guessing maybe I need to investigate:
>
> 1) try a distro with the 2.4.18 kernel/ RH 7.3 (which should be due
> soon)
>
> 2) see if the P4 mobo chipset has anything to do with this since 4100
> series still run only P3's.
>
> 3) pester people on this message board some more ;-)
>
> 4) Give up on it
>
> Any help is utmostly appreciated!
>
> Ico

=====
Kevin Ernste
kevine_AT_ecmc.rochester.edu
http://www.esm.rochester.edu/kevine

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." -MLK