[linux-audio-user] dsp,kde and sound server (on YDL2.2)?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] dsp,kde and sound server (on YDL2.2)?
From: kcross (kcross_AT_linex.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 20:46:37 EEST

This is somewhat OT and maybe too product specific for this list perhaps but
this problem is driving me insane -maybe someone has had these problems with
YDL2.2.

I don't have a sound card on my Powerbook yet but I need to hear sound both
in KDE and in sound processing apps. I have a PB G3 (1999-2000) 500Mhz 'new
world'.

 Every time I bootup Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 I get two error messages
 concerning the sound server:

 1) sound server informational message: Error while initializing the sound
 driver: device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device) The sound server
 will continue,using the null output device.

  2)sound server informational message:
 Error while initializing the sound driver: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT failed - invalid
 argument. The sound server will continue,using the null output device.

Needless to say I have no sound in KDE although /dev/dsp exists. Xmms only
 works if I choose the output plugin 'esound Output plugin 1.2.5'
[libesdout.so] with Wave Player 1.2.5 [libwav.so] to play .wav sound files.

How do I get KDE to open the dsp and make system sounds?

Any help will be most appreciated,
KJC