Re: [linux-audio-user] dsp,kde and sound server (on YDL2.2)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] dsp,kde and sound server (on YDL2.2)?
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 22:29:36 EEST

what are the permissions for /dev/dsp

try:
su
chmod a+rw /dev/dsp

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd
For the discerning hardware connoisseur
http://www.boosthardware.com
http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/guide/

--- kcross <kcross_AT_linex.com> wrote: > >This is somewhat OT and maybe too product specific for this list perhaps but >this problem is driving me insane -maybe someone has had these problems with >YDL2.2. > >I don't have a sound card on my Powerbook yet but I need to hear sound both >in KDE and in sound processing apps. I have a PB G3 (1999-2000) 500Mhz 'new >world'. > > Every time I bootup Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 I get two error messages > concerning the sound server: > > 1) sound server informational message: Error while initializing the sound > driver: device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device) The sound server > will continue,using the null output device. > > 2)sound server informational message: > Error while initializing the sound driver: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT failed - invalid > argument. The sound server will continue,using the null output device. > >Needless to say I have no sound in KDE although /dev/dsp exists. Xmms only > works if I choose the output plugin 'esound Output plugin 1.2.5' >[libesdout.so] with Wave Player 1.2.5 [libwav.so] to play .wav sound files. > >How do I get KDE to open the dsp and make system sounds? > >Any help will be most appreciated, >KJC

_____________________________________________________________ Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net

_____________________________________________________________ Run a small business? Then you need professional email like you_AT_yourbiz.com from Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net?tag