Re: [linux-audio-user] dsp,kde and sound server (on YDL2.2)?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] dsp,kde and sound server (on YDL2.2)?
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 22:48:10 EEST

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 19:19, KJC wrote:
> This is weird. Killed esd as suggested and of course no sound anywhere.
> Restarted Arts sound server and received the same error messages that
> started off this post(ie error initializing the sound driver
> and/dev/dsp can't be opened etc,etc) and of course no sound.
>
> I did managed to get system sounds working by making the' system
> notifications' use esdplay.That kinda works OK and xmms works as
> well.Can't use any ;'Arts' synth or sound recorder stuff
> however.Shame,would have like to check out the 'reverb'.

perhaps esd didn't die
ps aux | grep esd
if it is still there try killall -KILL esd
(this will also show the ps aux | grep esd command)

perhaps you have esd complied with alsa support and arts compiled with
oss and haven't installed the oss compatability modules?

type lsmod see what drivers your useing

also
ls -l /dev/dsp
it should be a symlink to real device file (probably /dev/dsp0) whilst
your there check the permission are correct (the permission on the file
pointed to by /dev/dsp not /dev/dsp itself (a quick and dirty way to
check that it's not a permission problems is to run the program as root
but rember that any temp files it creates will be owned by root so you
might have to get rid of them manually and obviously this is a securinty
risk).

presumably nothing works using /dev/dsp? xmms is good for checking this,
right click options->preferences and change the output plugin to oss (if
its not there it's because you haven't installed it)

--

rob