Re: [linux-audio-user] Suggestions needed for editing application

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Suggestions needed for editing application
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 00:42:39 EEST

* Greg House (ghunicycle_AT_yahoo.com) wrote:
> Someone told me awhile back that SoundForge (on Windoze) had a feature
> where you could just scroll through the file in the viewer, drop
> markers at various points, and then invoke a certain function and it
> would pull out each marked section into a seperate file. That sounds
> ideal. Something similar to that would be what I'd want, if it were
> available.

I've heard this feature requested a lot before, so I implemented it for
Audacity last night. Here's what you can do:

1. Import large file
2. Create a label track (this is how you use markers in Audacity) and
   create a marker at each splitting point. Give it a good name.
3. select the wave track and the label track, and choose
   Edit->Split at labels. This will create a new track for each region
   between markers (don't worry, it's really fast), using the names of
   the markers for the new tracks.
4. You can now export each track easily by selecting it, and choosing
   File->Export Selection as...

This feature is only in CVS right now (see
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/developers.html for CVSROOT and
instructions).

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>