Re: [linux-audio-user] creating an audio CD from tape

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] creating an audio CD from tape
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 00:58:54 EEST

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 04:31:59PM -0500, author wrote:
> I'm just a simple Linux user who knows very little about
> Linux music. I want to get my precious old music
> off the cassette tape before it starts to stretch or
> deteriorate and save it onto CD.
> I know how to hook up the cassette tape player to
> my sound card ( SB Live ) and how to record a track
> into the computer using the Gnome mixer and
> rec -V -r48000 -s -w -c2 whatever.wav

You need to change that to -r44100

> After that, I'm not sure exactly what to do.
> Do you use .wav files to burn an audio CD that
> can be played on a regular audio CD player?

Yes - cdrecord will deal with WAV files, but...

> Do the .wav files have to have a bit rate of
> 44,100 or can 48000 be used?

See above. CD is 44100, and it's far easier and better to record at the
rate you want to use than to convert later.

> I read that mkisofs is not used for audio CD so
> all I have to know is cdrecord,i
> If so, could anyone give me a cdrecord command
> that could burn an audio CD using the .wav files
> in a directory named 'my_music' ?

cdrecord -pad speed=? dev=?,?,? my_music/*.wav

You'll have to fill in the device codes (cdrecord -scanbus will show you
the codes for everything on the SCSI bus) and the speed you want to
record.

Tip: make each .wav file start with a two digit track number in the order
you want. The above command will record all the wav files in
alphabetical order of filename. And make sure the total file size will fit
on the CD (about 740 Mb)

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk     -  01638 720444 (H)