Re: [linux-audio-user] How to record soft synths from muse (or any sequencer)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] How to record soft synths from muse (or any sequencer)
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 19:22:32 EEST

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:28:03AM -0400, Bill Allen wrote:
> So my question is how do I get the synths to write their output to audio
> files instead of to the soundcard? I suspect that I'm going to be
> embarrased and chagrined at the simplicity of the answer, but so be it :)

Maybe not embarassed and chagrined, but maybe disappointed.
You've rediscovered the reason for Jack, and the thing that's been
driving me crazy about linux audio for years.

There is no way to do what you want unless the synth author has
provided a way to render realtime or file-based MIDI into an audio
file. Period.

Workaround if your soundcard supports multiple playback open:
use a cable to connect the soundcard output to its input;
be sure that you set the mixer correctly to enable recording without
monitoring or you'll get very bad feedback; play the midi through
the softsynth to the output and record the input.

You need multiple-open support because most soundcards/drivers will
prevent you from using two apps at once even if one's only writing
and one's only reading.

Another workaround: if you have a card with S/PDIF output and
another card with S/PDIF input, connect them and play to one
and record from teh other. I currently do this.

This won't work with two analog soundcards because the clocks
won't be synced and you'll never be able to synchronize files produced
with this technique with files produced purely digitally, e.g. using
timidity as you currently do.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"