Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio card

Subject: Re: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio card
From: pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 04:40:41 EEST

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) I'm looking into the code for usb audio at the moment and
people should be aware that it only has minimal support at
this stage. It is only capable of stereo 16 bit 44100hz.
That makes it highly unuseful for pro cards as they are
designed around the concept of 24 bit 96khz.

I also have an maudio quattro and it does not work
currently although the driver correctly indentifies the
card and the number of channels.

It also looks like there won't be alsa support for a while
as it seems the authors are not particularly interested in
pro recording but more usb speakers. They are also happy to
wait for a while on supporting alsa :(

All in all usb audio devices for musicians are not a high
priority on the usb list. WE could change that though.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

On 5/19/2002 - 19:32:32, "Len Moskowitz" said: > Consider an M-Audio Duo or an Edirol UA-5. Both are more flexible than the > stereo-link and the iMic. You can find details at out site: > http://www.core-sound.com > > > Len Moskowitz > Core Sound > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "matt yee-king" <yeeking_AT_no-future.com> > To: <linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu> > Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 11:07 AM > Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb audio card > > > > a big box considering it only has one stereo out, no digital I/O and no > > analog line/ mix in! > > > > I've been using an imic > > > > http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html > > > > it ran in linux out of the box for me. (not for everyone - check the > > list archives...) and its got in and out. (no digital : ( ). > > > > note no alsa for usb audio though. > > > > - matthew > > > > On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 12:35, luis jure wrote: > > > hi, anyone knows this: > > > > > > http://www.stereo-link.com/ ? > > > > > > they say: > > > > > > "We use USB to digitally transfer the music out of the computer, > bypassing the > > > sound card altogether. You get high quality audio and plug and play > simplicity > > > from a desktop PC, Mac, notebook, or "legacy free" PC. Even Linux. > [sic]" > > > > > > do usb audio cards work really well under linux? if possible i'd like to > receive > > > comments from people with experience with this or other usb audio cards. > > > > > > best, > > > > > > lj > > > > > > > > >