Re: More ICE1712 hassles (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question)

Subject: Re: More ICE1712 hassles (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question)
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 10:30:36 EEST

Hi,
Andrew Nesbit hat gesagt: // Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> Here is what I've experienced: i fire up envy24control. All the
> sliders in the monitor mixer are set to 0dB. I have PCM being output
> by aplay/XMMS/whatever. If I set the patchbay to "digital mix", and
> unmute the "PCM Out 1 & 2" channels (all other channels muted), then
> the output signal is (incorrectly, IMHO) hotter than if I select "PCM
> Out 1 & 2" for "HW Out 1 & 2" in the patchbay. This leads to
> clipping. Analogously for having "H/W In 1/2" signals pass through
> the monitor mixer instead of the "PCM Out 1 & 2" signals.

Now I see, that we do things a bit different. I have envy24control
setup this way:

Monitor Mixer:
PCM Out 1
Left: 0dB
Right: Muted
Stereo Gang: disabled

PCM Out 2
Left: Muted
Right: 0dB
Stereo Gang: disabled

HW Out 1
Left: 0dB
Right: Muted
Stereo Gang: disabled

HW Out 2
Left: Muted
Right: 0dB
Stereo Gang: disabled

All else is muted, I don't use SP/DIF.

With this I don't hear a noticable difference between Digital Mix and
H/W Out in the Patchbay/Router tab.

But if I unmute the other channels in PCM Out 1&2 and set them to 0dB,
too, things get loud if I listen to the Digital Mix and soften, when I
route to H/W Out.

I seems to me, I guess, that a "PCM Out" channel gets only one channel
of a stereo signal: PCM Out 1 gets the left channel, 2 gets the right
one. If I would use one PCM in Stereo Gang mode, I would double one
stereo channel and this clips. But I'm just guessing here, this also
is my experience from listening to stereo records, which are the
latest craze in the music market ;)

> [...]
> These problems, including the lack of OSS Mixer emulation, and a few
> other problems, are things that I have resolved to try to rectify by
> the end of this year, at the latest. I am still working my way
> through Rubini & Corbet's "Linux Device Drivers" 2nd ed. and trying to
> understand the ALSA source code and the ICE1712 programming specs.

When I read through older alsa-devel lists yesterday, I found a
message by you asking for ICE1712 spec sheets, so somehow I suspected
your intentions ;) It would be great, if you could find solutions to
this problems.

Ciao,