Re: [linux-audio-user] laptop advice needed

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] laptop advice needed
From: Michael Coxe (mc_AT_loudcloud.com)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 22:05:48 EEST

On 05/20/02, Geoff Kuenning (as "geoff_AT_cs.hmc.edu") wrote:
>On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 05:20:40 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>Well, this is seriously off-topic for this list (CYHIST being the
>right place), but I can't resist clearing up a couple of
>misconceptions.
>
>No. The concept of a notebook goes back to Alan Kay's research at
>PARC on the Dynabook, in the early 70's. The Dynabook was to have
>been (basically) an oversized Apple Newton.

Here's some good info about Parc cumputers, though not alot specifically
about Dynabook, which was never actually built as far as I can discover.
There *is* a conceptual drawing. There might be more in Stewart Brand's
Two Cybernetic Frontiers. I wish I still had my old (ancient) People's
Computer Company mags - alot of Parc stuff in those.

Parc info: http://xeroxstar.tripod.com/

 - michael