Re: [linux-audio-user] Splitting stereo files with sox

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Splitting stereo files with sox
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 11:27:27 EEST

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Matti Sunell wrote:

> I need to get rid of the left channel of my stereo drum samples. If I
> understand correctly, the command line to sox is
[...]
> sox bd.wav -c1 bd_mono.wav avg -r

You can also use ecasound for this (-erc = channel copy):

ecasound -i bd_mono.wav -f:16,1,44100 -o bd_mono_r.wav -erc:2,1

... where -f specifies the format for the output file.
If the sample-rate is not 44100, you should add -sr:xxx (xxx)
to change ecasound's internal sampling rate to avoid
resampling (btw; in the development-tree this in not needed
anymore).

To remove the right (2nd) channel:
ecasound -i bd_mono.wav -f:16,1,44100 -o bd_mono_l.wav

To make a mono submix (1+2=>1, -erm = channel mix):
ecasound -i bd_mono.wav -f:16,1,44100 -o bd_mono_lr.wav -erm:1

For more options, see ecasound(1) and
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/examples.html

> 12.17.3 which comes with Debian Woody. I have lots of these files, so
> I don't want to use a graphical editor.

Btw; ecasound has a debian package so you can apt-get it.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!