Re: [linux-audio-user] Alternative of PC based sound cards for quality sound and low noise ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alternative of PC based sound cards for quality sound and low noise ?
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 13:59:21 EEST

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 01:01:25AM +0300, xk wrote:
> How big can be the noise induced into the audio signal from the interference
> inside the typical PC? (I'm not talking of worst case or a really stupid
> design, which could be huge): -30 dB, -60 dB, -90 dB, -120 dB?

I think the simplest and best answer to that is: Yes!

In other words it's very variable, and depends on both the sound card and
the PC.

I have used a cheap PCI sound card's line level input to get audio from
a minidisc into the PC to make CDRs, and later used a sound card with
S/PDIF inputs to do the same thing with exactly the same music, and I
can assure you that the analogue transfer is noticeably more noisy.

> Another strange thing: I have an ATI card, and when I scroll big windows,
> especially those with bright white backgrounds, I can hear sometimes a
> really high pitched and very low volume sound (close to the edge of human
> hearing) coming from the video card or the monitor (hard to pinpoint). I'm
> totally sure it's not coming from any speakers or headphones (I've unplugged
> them). Am I crazy?

No: I've noticed that (OK, maybe I'm crazy too...) - several types of
electronic components make sounds releated to the electronic signals
passing though them. Inductors can exhibit magnetostriction, and
I think some types of capacitor make a noise too.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk     -  01638 720444 (H)