Re: [linux-audio-user] Alternative of PC based sound cards for quality sound and low noise ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alternative of PC based sound cards for quality sound and low noise ?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 12:29:02 EEST

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 01:01:25 +0300, xk wrote:
> How big can be the noise induced into the audio signal from the interference
> inside the typical PC? (I'm not talking of worst case or a really stupid
> design, which could be huge): -30 dB, -60 dB, -90 dB, -120 dB?

Its not just interference, but I've had ground loop amplified electrical
noise from the maestro3i in my laptop at about -20dB and distortion from
the amplifiers at about -40.

I wrote a jack program that lets you mesure it.
http://inanna.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/Projects/Demeter/ it might need some
porting to a current jackd though, its a bit old.

- Steve