[linux-audio-user] getting started

Subject: [linux-audio-user] getting started
From: John D. Barnett (barnett_AT_MIT.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 21:47:06 EEST

Hi-

I'd like to get my laptop (Gateway, w/ maestro3) set up for midi
sequencing. I'm a little confused about drivers and compatibility, and
would like some advice. (Sorry if these are FAQs, but the archive seems
to be down...)

Has anyone used the USBUA100 driver for sequencing? I read in the docs
that it doesn't support /dev/sequencer, but I'm not clear on the
difference between that and the /dev/midi* device files. What device
files are required by sequencing programs?

I'm thinking of getting the Roland UM-1 usb midi adapter, and am curious
to hear of others' experiences with it. Alternatively, if anyone can
recommend other low-cost hardware (serial, pcmcia, ...?), I'd be glad to
hear about it.

As an alternative, I have an old PII/166 with a Roland MPU-401 which
I've never really managed to get working under Linux; can anyone
recommend a low-overhead sequencer that works with the (non-OSS,
non-ALSA) MPU-401 driver?

Thanks-

-John Barnett