Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Joseph Zitt (jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 09:12:00 EEST

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:10:03AM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> I thought this may be of interest to the list.
> In a k5 poll about usability of linux audio apps,
> ( http://www.kuro5hin.org/poll/1023512126_OSelOkZS )
> So far, out of 38 answers the results are:
>
> -How do you like music software for Linux?
>
> 2 % - Great! It has everything I need.
>
> 13 % - Good, but i wish apps were more userfriendly (Like Reaktor or
> SoundForge)
>
> 31 % - Could be better, I think the apps are not yet mature enough for
> my needs.
>
> 15 % - It's unusable, the apps plain suck.
>
> 10 % - Dont care about composing on computers
>
> 26 % - Dont care about composing.

None of the above.

The apps are good -- but trying to configure a box to handle, for
example, USB audio and MIDI is enough to scare off anyone who isn't
primarily a computer-person (rather than primarily a musician). Right
now, I'm doing just about everything on my laptop under Linux, but
booting over to Windoze to do sound. I have various sharp-edged files
lying around that are supposed to get my devices working, but after
poking at them a while, I give up and go back to the Evil Side where
things just sorta magically work. Anything that involves rebuilding a
kernel or futzing with modules is a role for a sysadmin or someone
equivalent, not an end-user.

But to do anything other than music, I'm using Linux.

--
| jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com                   http://www.josephzitt.com/ |
| http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt/   http://www.mp3.com/josephzitt/ |