Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio routing issues for linux..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio routing issues for linux..
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 23:15:53 EEST

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Juan Linietsky wrote:

> Also I find the whole idea redundant. If JACK is easier and faster to
> integrate then it should replace the ALSA api on that matter.
> Developers, and specialy new ones, will allways support the official
> api FIRST.

One important thing to remember is that not all audio apps are meant for
making music. I've written quite a few small audio apps recently and most
of them are built directly on top of the ALSA PCM API. In these cases I
usually to have access to all hardware details. And ALSA is a _very_
powerful tool for this kind of work! But when I'm making apps for
musicians, then I think JACK is the way to go.

At least for me it's not a question of "either ALSA or JACK". I think it's
closer to: "should I write MyUltraReverb as a standalone ALSA program or a
LADSPA plugin?".

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!