Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Kasper Souren (kasper_AT_303.nu)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 11:15:23 EEST

xk wrote:
> I'm no average user, but I still dislike console applications, even if I
> have a few I use frequently. I agree on the compilation issue. That's really
> annoying if you come from the Windows world, and you don't even know the
> basics commands like chdir or list dir.

I think console apps are indead a bit too much if you've never really used
them, but if you want to get more into your system, they're great. It gives
you much more control and insight. And for a lot of stuff, once you're used
to them, you don't want to get into the click'n'guess stuff anymore (like
Windows server administration :)

I also really like ecasound, but most of the time I only use to record stuff
straight as mp3. Compare 'ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o:nice.mp3' to all the
things you would have to do if you use a GUI app to record sound, save the
file, and then use another GUI app to convert the sound into an mp3 file.

> That would slow everything down. The best standards impose themself - like
> the jpeg format for example (althrough this does have an organsation behind
> it). Eventually the Linux users will decide what's the direction to take. As
> more users board this train, more important companies will begin investing
> in Linux. Already "professional" development suites begin to appear (Kylix),
> which are essential in the task of porting applications to Linux. I'm
> waiting forward to the day when something like Visual C appears on Linux. As
> sad as it might be for some people, Linux will become an OS similar to
> Windows and MacOS, even if it may not have the same problems.

For me Kylix was a big disappointment, because it was quite hard to get it
running, just to get the registration done properly was a pain in the ass.
And I couldn't get my way through it. I found the documentation not very
good. Then I started to use GNU Pascal from the shell, and it was much more
to my liking.

There already are some IDE's, for instance KDevelop, which can be nice if
you're used to Visual C.

greetz,
Kasper