Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: mauro graziani (haknam_AT_freepass.it)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 15:40:26 EEST

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 10:15, Kasper Souren wrote:

> I think console apps are indead a bit too much if you've never really used
> them, but if you want to get more into your system, they're great. It gives
> you much more control and insight. And for a lot of stuff, once you're used
> to them, you don't want to get into the click'n'guess stuff anymore (like
> Windows server administration :)
>
> I also really like ecasound, but most of the time I only use to record stuff
> straight as mp3. Compare 'ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o:nice.mp3' to all the
> things you would have to do if you use a GUI app to record sound, save the
> file, and then use another GUI app to convert the sound into an mp3 file.

I agree. But I also agree with the previous gui (xk) asking for a gui.
The solution is already here: a gui front-end. With a gui font-end the
average user can start easily to use the program, but you and I can
continue writing command lines.
Consider burning a cdrom. Mkisofs and cdrecord are a little complex. The
man page is also too complex for a window user. With things like
xcdroast or gtoaster even a windows user can burn a cd on linux (I also
use gtoaster when making a simple cd).
Speaking with people, I often make examples like yours (mine is: compare
mv *.aiff ~/otherdir to the same operation with a file manager)
Here in linux we have the beatiful opportunity to build a system that
can be managed at different levels. First write the command line
application, so you can focus on the propoer working of the program,
then write a gui front-end.

--
 Mauro
Universe is *not* user-friendly.