Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: can't play from realserver from a different subnet]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: can't play from realserver from a different subnet]
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 23:45:41 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Vinod's message seemed appropriate for the expertise of this group,
> perhaps someone here can help him out ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> == Dave Phillips
>
> The Book Of Linux Music & Sound at http://www.nostarch.com/lms.htm
> The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org

> Subject: can't play from realserver from a different subnet
> Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:26:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Vinod <geekvinod_AT_yahoo.com>
> To: dlphilp_AT_bright.net
>
> i know it may not be appropriate to ask this question
> directly to you but i didnt get help elsewhere so
> thought i will try this.
>
> this is a configuration i have in my lab.
>

> realserver(10.0.0.8)---------switch-------
> |

> 10.0.0.2
> (desktop)
> 10.0.2.1
> |

> 10.0.2.5
> laptop
>
> i can play files from the server from my desktop but
> can't play from my laptop.can anyone tell me y?does it
> being on a different subnet affect things?
> my networking is setup correctly as i can send ping
> packets between my server and laptop.
> would be grateful for some help here.

are 10.0.0.2, 10.0.2.1 and 10.0.2.5 all connected to the switch
directly, or are some hosts bridging for others ? (or are you using a
10mbit bus topology?)

anyway, you need to check that the switch forwards not only tcp, but
also udp (or maybe even rdp) packets - i think the streaming server
might use one of those protocols.
also make sure that the relevant ports are not blocked between the
server and the client (firewall etc.).
you might want to do a portscan from server to laptop and the other way
round to see what's open. try nmap.

best,

jörn