Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio File Splitter?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio File Splitter?
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 00:27:35 EEST

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Taybin Rutkin wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a utility that would split a WAV file into smaller
>> files at silences above a certain duration? It seems like the kind of
> I wonder if that the sort of thing that a noise gate plugin could be
> hacked to do. I don't know of any noise gates though. Are you trying to

Ecasound has a threshold gate which truncates audio buffers if average
signal level is below the given threshold value (separate start/stop
thresholds). For instance:

# footwo.wav is 10sec file with 5sec of silence at the start
# and a linearly fading out drumloop in the end; once the avg
# amplitude goes over 5% (of the max amplitude) gate is opened,
# once avg falls below 2%, gate is closed

$ ecasound -i footwo.wav -o footwo_gated.wav -ge:5,2,0
[...]
$ du -csh footwo*
3.4M footwo.wav
1.4M footwo_gated.wav