[linux-audio-user] Beat-matching in GDAM - help quick!

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Beat-matching in GDAM - help quick!
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sat Jun 22 2002 - 22:17:20 EEST

I'm very sorry for the spam, but I'm leaving in an hour and I'm DJing at a party
tonight. It's my maiden voyage with GDAM which is a lot of fun
but I can't get the automatic turntable sync to work. Can anybody help
QUICK? (I'm currently on #lad in irc.openprojects.net if you do IRC)

First of all, I'm using GDAM from CVS because I couldn't get
the latest release tarball to compile against ALSA from cvs...
and there's apparently no .configure option to disable ALSA.

I've got a bunch of MP3's which I have worked on in the beat
calculator... that's no problem. I can load songs into the Wheels
and play them, no problem.

I click on "Anchor" for one song, click on various combinations of
"sync" for the two turntables, start the second song with
control-click or left-click... it doesn't seem to matter
what I do. No matter what, the second song plays at 100% resampling rate
unless I adjust it by hand, and I have to keep nudging things if
I can't get the BPMs to match exactly (which often isn't possible in
the GUI... one will be at e.g. 140.05, one will be at 140.09 and I
just can't adjust them any more precisely).
If I was good at that kind of thing, I'd use real turntables. ;-)

I thought that anchoring and syncing would make the second turntable
adjust its resampling rate automatically so it's always in sync.
Have I misunderstood what this is supposed to do?
Anybody know how to make it work???

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"